Profile of Ministry of IPC
Ministry of Inter-Provincial Coordination serves as the secretariat of the Council of Common Interests (CCI), which is the apex constitutional body established under Article 153 of the Constitution of Pakistan. The Ministry is, therefore, the premier contact point between the federal government and the federating units. Major functions of the Ministry of IPC are coordination between the Federal Government & provinces in economic, cultural and administrative fields, promoting uniformity of approach in policymaking and implementation in all fields of common interest, and provision of a platform for discussion on policy issues received from the provinces, and therefore, playing a pivotal role in strengthening the federation.
In addition to above, a number of departments/organizations have been assigned to this Ministry. These include, Pakistan Sports Board (PSB), Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), Pakistan Veterinary Medical Council (PVMC), National Academy of Performing Arts (NAPA), National Internship Programme (NIP), Department of Tourist Services (DTS), Federal Land Commission (FLC), and Gun & Country Club (GCC). Dealing and agreements with other countries and international organizations in matters relating to Youth Exchange Programmes (External) and International Organizations and agreements relating to tourism and sports have also been placed under the ambit of this Ministry under Rules of Business.
History of Ministry of IPC
- Constituted in 1972 but abolished and re-established a few times
- During abolition, functions remained attached to Education, Finance and Cabinet Divisions.
- Constituted as an independent Division first on 23rd May 1992, subsequently abolished.
- Re-established as a Division in 1996 and abolished within a few months, and re-established in March 2007.
- Made full-fledged Ministry in November 2008.